Saturday, June 24, 2006

Back to School

I took the GMAT in Kuwait City in early May This was right before I left for R&R. For those of you who don't know what that test is, it's the test you take to apply to graduate schools for business. Anyway, I spent almost two months studying for it whenever I could find the time in between all the other things. I did extremely well on one part of the test, but I didn't do as well as I hoped on the overall part of it. Whatever. I was a little frustrated by that becasue I'm usually a decent test taker and my practice tests were going well. So I'm not sure what happened. Naturally, my quick answer is that this was the result of an unexplainable mystery through no fault of my own. You know the stars the planets and all that. I could retake it when I get back to the states and have a more agreable schedule to prepare, but I don't think I'm going to. This was a one shot one kill kind of endeavor and besides, I either met or exceeded the average test score of the four schools I was looking at. So maybe it was just my ego that was damaged.

That part of the process is out of the way and I've sinced started moving on to the actual part where you apply. I need to figure this out quickly because it's a major factor in deciding where I want to live when I get back. It's kind of an exhausting process. There's the test itself, the application, the letters of recommendation, transcripts, essays, and apparently, interviews! I'm surpirsed I don't need a security clearence, a physical and be required to pass some sort of medival endurance gauntlet. Anyway this is what I'm working on at the moment, trying to get these applications out before I de-mob (go home).

Oh yeah, I rejoin my unit on the tenth of July. The mission I'm on now will handed over to a new company very soon and and my old unit is set go home, also within the near future. I've been gone for about 12 months total at this point and I really don't have very much time left. I think a change of scenery is going to be good.

The four schools I was looking at were in Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago and Denver. I'm from Milwuakee but I was really planning on not living there when I get back. Minneapolis and Chicago were kind of the front runners and I was getting pretty interested in the idea of moving to either of those places. But I think I may stay in Milwuakee. My reasoning for this is that, as a veteren and a resident, I will get free tuition at any of the state schools. That's a pretty big deal. That would save me $30,000 in student loans so I think it would be pretty stupid to not stay. The school in Chicago (Depaul) would probably be my first choice overall, but it's even more expensive than Milwaukee and plus I would have to pay for it all. So I think I'm going to stay in Milwaukee for four years (doing the part time thing). Then I'll move on. Still, I don't know how I feel about this.

In other news, my ear did in fact start to heal on it's own. I've been to the Army med clinic twice since I've been back and have also had an audiogram. I do have some hearing loss and supposeldy my left ear will get to call the shots from now on (my right was the dominent one) but I think the hearing loss is going to be minimal. So no big deal.

Any volunteers to edit an essay or two?

~Rolligun

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not the best proof-reader but I can have a go, if you don't find anyone much, much better ;-)

12:56 AM  
Blogger Sherri Williams said...

Sounds like you have a great plan! Good luck with it! Oh, and yes, I'm like you, I think I'd take advantage of the free tution too.

12:58 AM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

dude, send the essays on. i'll gladly proof for you. im, quit teh gud prufer yah no.

but seriously, send em to me, i'll check em and send em back. though my blog may not reflect it, english is my strong suit. apart from my other strong suits. heh.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home