Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Remembrance Pieces

The Army has its own paper that gets distributed through out the theatre. It’s called the Stars & Stripes. Most of the articles are syndicated just the same as many news publications. I’ll usually read an AP article online before I see it again in the Stars and Stripes. Just like any good publication, the Stars & Stripes will take into account their audience, so there are also plenty of articles written about issues that are important to the military. Articles about policy changes, new equipment, political speeches, institutional rhetoric, and of course some stories from the war that weren’t quite exciting enough for the associated press. I’m leaving something out. What kind of periodical would the Stars & Stripes be if it didn’t have human interest stories? There are different kinds of human interest stories, the Stars & Stripes usually covers all the bases, but the ones I’m referring too are the ones that highlight the life of a recently deceased soldier. Remembrance Pieces. I think it’s a good thing to reflect on these soldiers and for others to read about them. These articles usually follow the same format. I always know the names.

They talk about the impressions that soldier left behind.

They talk about the interests that soldier left behind.

They talk about the family that soldier left behind.

They talk about how that solider moved on.

Remembrance.

The format is usually pretty typical but the content is personal. It’s specific to the soldier. The last one I read the soldier was described as committed and courages. Qualities he undoubtedly possessed, but he also came off as bit awkward. In a simple and amiable sort of way. It talked about him not having a girlfriend and how he and a close female friend of his would always talk about that. I’m not sure if that’s something I would necessarily want in an article like that, but it’s sincere nonetheless. It doesn’t much matter anyway. The article talked about a particular tattoo he had on his shoulder. He was described as being proud of that tattoo and had identified himself with it. It was a tattoo of the superman symbol.

I don’t always read the Stars & Stripes, but when I do, I always read these stories.

I remember looking at his tattoo.

~Rolligun

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got me right in the heart with your words.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Sherri Williams said...

I can't imagine having your job. So very hard. Thanks for doing what you do...

Stay safe.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

years from now rolli, when i am contracted to write a remembrance piece on you, (as my fame by then will automatically qualify me for the job, as well as your notoriety as an international pimp forcing the need for a famous writer) i am so putting in a blurb about your love of drag shows. and i will so be using your own words against you in horrible misquotes. lol.

just a little levity.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Janie,
thanks for reading...trust me, I hold back quite a bit.

mommy,
no problem and the honor is mine

Chud,
Nothing wrong with a little levity, I don't think I can immagine a situation where I wouldn't want it...however i do think this may be a bad time to mis-quote me, being that I recently posted about my gay mate from the U.K. Give me some time to let it cool down a bit and then you can libel away.

11:13 PM  
Blogger ChickyBabe said...

That's quite a moving post that speaks volumes about your daily life. I hope blogging about it provides some release.

4:47 AM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

hey, i wasn't planning on having to write that tomorrow. i was thinking years down the road when i'm a world renowned power broker and you're an international playboy/magician whose cause of death was a misdiagnosed case of syphallis. or bird flu. either you caught it whilst fighting somali pirates on a private yacht of a young heiress that i put you in contact with so i could bang her sister.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's good to see a different side of you in every post...

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home