Monday, June 26, 2006

Finding a means to a loss

Is there ever a certain person that you think about whenever you want to forget about someone else? I have a girl like that. I was thinking back about some of the girls I’ve either dated or strongly desired and how while sometimes it was probably a good thing that the attraction or the relationship ended; there were other times where I wished it hadn’t.

Whoops, I may have fucked that one up.

Every now and then you meet someone and relish in the stages of infatuation. Your mind and your body just seem to change chemical structure and you run wild the fantastic possibilities of being or always being with that person. Sometimes those possibilities become the reality and an extraordinary romance evolves. Or maybe sometimes your illusions get ahead of the reality. Or simply, it’s just time for the relationship to end.

There have been a couple of girls in my life where my hopes and expectations exceeded theirs. Hmm. Which of course spell’s the end of that affair. That’s alright though and everything eventually comes back to zero again, but in the mean time all you have is disappointment and this consuming sense of loss.

I didn’t want to deal with anything like that while overseas. Having a relationship or ending a relationship or anything of that nature. Even though my impending deployment wasn’t the major reason my last girlfriend and I broke up, it was however, one of the things I was considering. So many soldiers I serve with had rushed into marriages and commitments as a result being deployed. I guess that’s one way to handle the situation, to find someone to hold on too. Still others, (myself included) would do the opposite, which is to detach from that kind of thing.

I didn’t have a particularly hard time getting over the last girlfriend. Jessica was a great girl, who I’m sure is doing quite well, however we were just too different. I didn’t want to be with her anymore, especially while being gone. The transition was smooth and I didn’t need any help in getting over her. It was simply time for our relationship to end. But it’s not always that easy.

I can remember a few girls that gave me absolute fits when trying to get over them. Relationships where my desires were either stronger than theirs or had outlived theirs. Not all were actual girlfriends, one for example, was just a girl I grew up knowing (a year older) through Middle and High School. We weren’t even that close and I didn’t get that many chances to talk to her, but I knew she always liked having such devoted admirer. Anyway, she had my affections for several years. So there is a varying range of history & closeness between me and the girl who happened to evoke that sense of loss.

Coincidently enough, the girl who ended my affections for the older girl, is still today, the same one that I think about when I need help in getting over the loss of someone else. I haven’t talked to her for a few years and I think she married recently. She was my first real girlfriend and long term relationship. If I had ever loved anyone, it was her.

We dated for about a year and it took twice that time for me to get over her. Everyday of elation equaled two days of loss. Not a fair equation as far as I’m concerned and one that I don’t forget. Anyhow, the gift she did leave me is the ability for her to sometimes help with getting over the overwhelming feelings I had for another. If I could handle two for one, then I could handle this.

So for whatever the reasons were that things didn’t continue or evolve with the few that I had lost, I would always eventually start to think about Amy. I would remember how we spent 13 months together and had never fought once, about anything. Ever. I would remember how every time I tried to be serious or assertive; she would just step right over my stoic bearing in a way that would change all perspectives. If I was mad or upset about something, she would just bypass that too, also in way that defeated whatever importance I applied to the situation. She made me laugh, all the time and especially at myself. She could pick up and set down my ego whenever she wanted while always being able to make me happier than I could imagine. I did those same things for her. (except for picking up and setting down of an ego, she was better at that). I would remember, just simply, how much fun it was to be with her, in a car ride, or a walk, or anything. But mostly I remember how I never once felt, that any moment with her was less than perfect. Never wanted to be anyplace else. I can’t forget about the two days of loss for every day of her, but she has always been able to help me get over the loss of someone else. Eventually.

That usually works for me, so how do you do it?

~Rolligun

11 Comments:

Blogger ChickyBabe said...

Good post Rolligun. It sounds like you had a special relationship with Amy. I wonder if she would be able to do the same for you now, and whether this is a friendship that can continue throughout your lives.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Officially Fabulous said...

Wow, great post! It's been a long time since I had to get "over" someone, but it took three years for me to do it because I didn't want to involve anyone else by jumping into to something when I wasn't over the last. It sounds like you actually have a good way of doing it. You are actually lamenting the type of relationship that you had, not necessarily just the woman involved. I think that you will have that again, because you have an idea of what you are looking for. I've recently found a man that makes me forget about my past relationships almost entirely b/c anything I did in a relationship before does not apply in this one.. it's so beyond my past relationships that they almost cease to have existed. I guess that's the ultimate in getting over others- finding the one that makes all others disappear? Weird, huh? As for the deployment marriages & break-ups, I live in a Navy town and see it all the time. It's a very interesting phenomenon! Again, great post!!
~Fab : )

6:05 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

How did you get the story of my love life? Seriously, did my mother sell you the rights or something?

To get over someone?? It usually takes the interest of another guy to help me out, but then that ends and I am more depressed than ever.. somehow time spent with friends is the most helpful antedote to a relationship ending.. OR just ending it before you get hurt, but I don't think that is very healthy..

7:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't answer this... my heart is perennially being broken. It must be a male conspiracy!

I get over it by taking a walk. Honestly.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

ChIcKy,

It was a great relationship...a long time ago, but I won't forget it. She probably could do the same today, she was so naturally playful and young of heart...those are some of my favorite qualities and I doubt she would ever lose them. Friendship sure, but it would be a chance meeting type of thing. I haven't talked to her in a really long time and I'm never been one to keep in touch. It was a young relationship and I'm sure we both have changed to some degree anyway. I know the guy she apparently married. He's a good guy.

FaBuLoUs,
The "get over" part I hate, I usually try to avoid that as best as possible, but sometimes it's inevitable, ya know the whole taking a chance thing and all. I'm not sure I know exactly what I'm "looking" for in a female, that seems to change on me here and there, but I do know the feeling I'm looking for, at least the beginning of it anyway, no matter where it starts.

Very happy for you on the new beau!! Sounds like a definate keeper, I especially liked the part about how he made helped washed your hands of the past.

bG,

How are you? It's been awhile...

I think getting involved with another person to get over something real is a bad idea and a short term solution...instant romantification so to speak (yeah, I can make up new sayings on this blog). I have no problem being single and I don't do that. I'll just wait it out till the times come again. As far as Amy, it's just the memory how great it was to be with her that kind of gives me a weird mix of sorrow and optimism...I think that's the cocktail that helps trump any current girl problems. It's not a perfect science however.

MiSsY,

DON'T say that!! I'm not in that business...I'm here to please!

So, ah, just let me know...

(moving along)

Walking is great!, I'm a big fan of it and I walk everywhere with my nameless dog. He's a pro at guarding random poles, benches and signs while he waits for me to pick-up things or do whatever -- he doesn't mind and he's very aware of my refusing to ever wait in a line policy. (what does this have to do with anything?)

10:31 PM  
Blogger Sherri Williams said...

Well, Rolligun, don't have any advice on this one. DH was my one only boyfriend but when he's gone and I'm missing him beyond all reason, I lose myself in a book or two or ten....

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even us very marrieds...think back to a certain young man and how much in love I thought I was.... When we said good-bye, I left the state...He wasn't the only reason just a big one.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Mommy,

For some reason I feel weird typing that, you may simply become known as 22 from now on, don't worry, it's a fine selection of numbers for which I'm sure have good reason for choosing them and I also think you may want to consider purchasing a "jersey" of some kind in the future.

On with replying...

I think that's both really neat and very rare! that DH has always been the only one. How lucky!

(for the both of you I suspect :))

FYI, smiley faces inside a parenthesis really turn to just be double chins.

Janie,

Thanks for that... I guess it's nice to know that sometimes the things that you think you beleive in may eventually become something more something different down the road.

Which State did you leave? Was it Nebraska -- I never really did like Nebraska, maybe because they always seem to be changing geographic regions on me -- not sure.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Sherri Williams said...

Mommy22Ss is Mommy to 2 S's. In that my children's names both start with S.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Left a small corn field from the state of Illinois...so you were kinda close with Nebraska... ( :

5:16 PM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

i drink. it helps. oddly enough, i have a girl i grew up with who is a few years younger than me. her and i had a bond. it never quite worked out for us since she was younger because the age thing was a hinderance. then when she finally turned 18, some other dude swooped in and took her. now, she's married to him. i see them both constantly and it only serves to sadden me. meh. it's selfishness on my part i know.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home