Thursday, February 15, 2007

A Doggie Journal...

I've recently begun taking my dog, who will call "Cody" to an anmial behaviorist. Cody got in a little bit of trouble awhile back, the kind of trouble that requires stitches. So seeing as though I don't want give him up or threaten the safety of my dog or anyone else, I've decided to get him a therapist. Part of his training includes me keeping a journal of his contact with other people.

This is an extremely boring assignment, especially since I'm suppose to prevent any human to dog contact until we're further along with the process. So to make it a littlle more interesting, I put a slightly "operational" spin to it as well as some bonus observations for the therapist to enjoy.

I hope she doesn't think my behavior (i.e journal) is the reason for his undesriable behavior. In any event, here is the format and highlights of the journal that I submitted to her today, his second appointment.


Task Force Cody
Canine Surveillance

February 1, 2007

Old lady walking…

Cody's walking on the left side; lady is approaching on the right. Lady is concentrating solely on forward movement. Cody identifies target and crosses in front of observer, or me. Cody's disposition is curious with wagging tale and ears pointed back. Target focus is subject’s right hand. Subject passes and observer pulls Cody before contact is made. A 270 degree turn is required by observer in order to continue forward with out risk of leash entanglement.

Training notes: All three maneuvers are completed. Approximate time seven minuets. Canine Disposition: Cody views this solely as “treat time.”

February 2, 2007

Guy in elevator…

Cody wanted to greet. Wagging tale, ears pointed back. Guy asserts position in corner of elevator. Cody continues to engage meeting, but no canine to human contact is made. Guy in corner is happy about that.

February 3, 2007

Guy waiting for Bus…

Cody zeros in on the back of strange man’s knee. Cody begins quick approach toward back of knee. Observer halts momentum and instead suggests nearby newspaper stand. The man knows nothing.

Saturday night Dog sitting….

My sister drops off her dogs. Cody demands more attention/affection with other dogs around. He accepts there presence but makes little attempt to socialize. Mainly harbors in my room. He did, when notified that everybody would be going for a “walk,” attempt to play with my sister’s dog, Virgil. Virgil is also an alpha dog and is not always receptive to unsolicited attention. He did not appreciate Cody’s attempts and all spontaneous play time was averted.

Cody did find toys previously thought to be of no consequence to now be suddenly useful in the presence of other dogs.

February 4, 2007

Cleaning Lady in Stairway…

On my way down the stairs a lady petted Cody before I had the chance to preemptively yell at her. She patted his head and I continued to concentrate on my descent. Cody paused for the attention, but quickly lost interest due to imminent thoughts of sniffing shrubbery.


February 7, 2007

Girl in elevator…

Cody was eager to receive attention from random girl. Girl in elevator was interested in giving Cody attention; however contact was averted with the words “my dog is in training.” I was expecting leper treatment from girl, however she happily obliged. Cody settled into a seated position, next to me but facing girl.

February 8, 2007

Couple Walking…


Cody leads with nose, wagging tale, eager to join walking couple. I pull Cody back before couple has opportunity to separate their fused hands and pet Cody. Within two steps, Cody is now fixated on looming pile of snow.

February 9, 2007

Lady in elevator with mini-dog and partial shopping cart…

Lady asks “is he friendly” “No” I replay, “he’s in training.” Cody makes no attempt to greet lady and her dog.

February 11, 2007

Scrubby man in elevator…

Elevator is small and man avoids customary step which is normally executed to allow for more room when additional occupants enter. Cody is eager to greet scrubby, immobile man, but as I pull him back man begins to pet Cody. I ask that he “please not pet my dog as he is in training.” The man responds with an immediate, however softly toned grunt. I attempt to translate the meaning of this grunt and I conclude that it is simply acknowledgement of his auditory abilities. Furthermore I consider his communication skills to be consistent with his avoidance of customary behavior. Cody spends his time wagging his tale and looking at socially challenged man. Cody’s jaw is open and his tongue is hanging out. Coincidently, so is the man.



{I hope this helps, becuase the alternative is even less interesting than that.}

~Rolligun

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to ask...
Are you serious about this? Really?

5:22 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Jayneeee...yes I'm serious. And I'll have you know his behaviorist sent me an email earlier, one complimenting me on my following her plan and secondly to say that she shared my "dog journal" with the people she worked with...so ha!

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, its just that in my line of work, I have had a child take a bite out of another child and my task was quite similar (to yours) as to keeping track of behaviors.

You know, you are getting in great practice for those young Rolli's of the future.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Poor Rollie. You mean he didn't get to sniff one groin or lick his own nuts in public or anything???

12:03 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Steph, I could never deny Cody the simple pleasures in life, but rest assure I don't do those things.

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home