Thursday, March 16, 2006

A Soldier Too

Everyone has already been told that dogs have a strong sense of smell, so don’t anticipate any sort of press release with the following. A dog’s sense of smell is so strong in fact, that many of them have been able to find employment becuase of it. Gone are the days where canines have to stand in the unemployment line. With their noses, dogs are able to locate drugs, explosives, chemicals, people (dead or alive), various forms of cancer and perhaps most important of all, exotic foods. If nobody told you that, then I’m telling you now.

The military will eagerly accept anyone capable of doing what their told, occasionally in addition to those who are not, but so goes a story for another day. Suffice to say, someone with these very talents in both olfaction and listening, are in high demand from the United States military. After all, god forbid a soldier should have difficulty locating an avocado.

Interestingly enough it isn’t the problem of finding exotic fruit that keeps canines employed in the military. More often than not, they are here for the purposes of locating explosives during searches or while at control points. Ultimately they support the mission, save lives and receive monetary compensation (in the form of treats) just the same as any other who serves. Therefore meeting the defining terms of a soldier. There is even a corresponding memorandum to support this notion, along with an acronym. Somewhere I imagine. For those of you who haven’t been told, the Army loves acronyms (ALA).

Earlier today I saw one of these dogs. That isn’t a good thing. He was sleeping with the same coarse eyes that they all have. Fortunately it wasn’t an I.E.D that took him, so he looked good, but instead he had drowned. Well maybe that isn’t any better because from what I understand, that isn’t a desirable choice either.

Typically when a soldier arrives, we inventory their possessions, ice the body and prepare an indefinite number of forms, among other things. I didn’t know we did these things with dogs, but apparently we do. However, I am happy to report that we do in fact treat them just the same as everyone else. By this, I mean a canine even gets his own transfer case with an American flag proudly draped across the top.

Later on tonight, at approximately 0300, I will be standing at attention while several airmen are loading this dog and his flag onto a cargo plane, along with seven other soldiers. This is a ceremonial event and someday I will tell more about it. But for now, it is only important to know that it is an honor to be there. There’s a feeling in the air and sometimes a breeze.

His name was Ray and he never did like avocados.

~Rolligun

14 Comments:

Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

You forgot to mention that dogs can also sense seizure activity before it begins.

Good God, Rolli, do I constantly have to check over your shoulder to make certain you're fully informing the public. I now know why you chose a career in the Army. You need direction. You need guidance. You need instruction.

On a more serious note, GOOD for the US Military. That dog, who served his country, deserves a military burial. I wonder if there is any room at Arlington for dogs. I wonder if these dogs have owners. Were these dogs drafted? Damn that voter registration.

3:56 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Rolli- very touching and so sweet of you to share with us... Dogs are so often humanized, to the point that they become members of our families. It is very touching that the military gives them this kind of respect.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rays' own handler and Troop would appreciate the care You took.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Meghan is sometimes Brittany,

I didn't choose a career in the Army, I think YOU should stop misinforming the public.

I got lost one day, and thought I was signing a pledge sheet. But that's another story. Either way not a career.

How do you know what I need? Nobody knows that.

yes-owners
drafted-I suppose

what does voter registration have to do with anything?
(do you mean selective service?)

Who the hell is watching out for you?

BG,

As they should be BG, as they should be.

They even get their own body armor and rank.

I'm glad you liked this post, it made me miss my dog, although he isn't cut out for the military lifestlye by any stretch of the imagination. He likes "walks" and squirrels. That's about it.

Janie,

That goes with out saying.

9:49 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Rolli-
I figured it reminded you of your dog.. My dad has always had dogs. When my brother and I graduated, me from college, him from high school,the same summer, Daddy got two new puppies (they were brother and sister), one for me and one for my bro... they actually kind of looked like us, the girl (Tippi)had dark hair, and the boy (Bullet) was sort of sandy blonde like my bro... The dogs lived with daddy of course..This past year Tippi got cancer and died... My dad kept her at home and took care of her b/c she was a member of our family. Tippi died just after we had all decided, as a family, that she had suffered enough. Daddy was literally holding her getting ready to take her to the vet. It was like she did it her way.. Tippi always was stubborn that way..Kind of like me.. My daddy was so sad. I've seen him cry a handful of times, and this was one of those occasions...

Sorry, this was a little long but I just thought I would share..

10:01 PM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

wait... the dogs have rank? now that's something. the body armor, the ceremony, all that stuff i can see. but the fact that i could be outranked by a dog... that's actually really fucking cool. "soldier! why are digging that hole and burrying shit in it?!"

"i was told to by a superior, sir."

"which superior?"

(points to dog licking his balls) "him sir... him."

kinda puts someone in a quandry. i mean, the dog DOES outrank you, but at the same time you were taking orders from a dog. so... to carry on, or have your head examined. hmm...

11:33 PM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

It was long believed (and actually may have truth to it) that the only way they could find you to draft you was by voter registration.

If you registered to vote, you were in the lottery for the draft.
So the thinking went.

Pledge sheet . . . umm hmmm, likely story. Why do you not strike me as that much of a joiner. Particularly when you're paying them. Army - totally different story. They're paying you.

As for who is watching out for me. . . umm, well, there's God, my bubbahead, my momma, my daddy, my very near and dear friends, the Arkansas State Troopers, and the list continues. :)

As for what you need, hmmm . . . I could warrant a few guesses. The first would be a shower.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Megs knows about your showers too?? The mind boggles.

This post was really sad. I do hope he got a proper burial. Think how devastated the handler or owner would be.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

The thought of a flag for the dog, for Ray, brought a tear to my eye. I can honestly say I've never thought about the dogs in service. Thanks for making me. Think about it, that is.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

BG,
No problem BG, death is an appropriate topic for this blog.
Thanks for sharing and I'm glad it evoked some of the good memories too.

Drunken,

well done Chud!

I especially liked the imagry of the pooch liking himself while fully satisfied with his abilities in delagation.

Meghan,

"It was long beleived" What!?! I stopped reading that comment after I got that far. I'll have you know, as you already should be aware by now, that I certainly don't except anything passed down from the town elders. "It was long beleived" What the hell was that?

I can also assure you that a shower is not something I need, however dependent I am on them, I do get plenty.

Steph,

I can fully understand a boggling mind (ABM). But the things your capable of doing to a mind, are unfair to the rest of the public.

I wish I had the MOS (military occupational specialty) asscociated with MWD (military working dogs)they have very good relationships with the dogs and many become really attached to eachother, as expected I guess.

(I thought I would give you a sample of accronym friendly the Army is)

Kristin,

Happy to add to the appreciaton you have for dogs. Please pass it on.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

"I especially liked the imagry of the pooch liking himself while fully satisfied with his abilities in delagation."

you know, i re read my post and it was mildly funny, but that comment still has me chuckling. you are gifted with imagery rolli.

6:57 AM  
Blogger karla said...

Good thing my dog was never drafted. I doubt the military needs dogs who nap a lot and cry when you put them outside.

3:55 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Rolli- are you alright?? Long time no post...Hoping all is well with you sweet boy...

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home