Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Who's the foreigner here?

It’s very rare that I get out in the public where I’m stationed at. Basically, I just get shuttled from one camp to the next. I spend a fair amount of time traveling some of the roads, but the local connections I make are more along the lines of a window affair. I look at you, and you look at me. Sometimes there’s an exchange, a nod, a wave, but most times you could find more of a cultural merging hiding in an assortment of vegetables.

Anyway, today was a rare opportunity that I walked among the regulars, albeit briefly. I was at a Kuwaiti airport and I had to enter a building to pick something up. In order to get to where I needed to go, I had to walk through a large tunnel/lounge type of area.

I was by myself as I walked through this particular quarter and it took me all of three minutes from entry to exit. The setting is a waiting area, a place for casual lounging. There was a front desk with a gold lamp, rotating doors, and an abundance of couches, windows and TVs. The walls were full of Kuwaiti artifacts, pictures and other signified treasures. Also, there were rugs, plants and LOTS of people.

As I walked through, I noticed huddles of Japanese people, all standing in distorted circles. Apparently, they all packed under the same set of travel instructions, for everyone one of them seemed to be wielding similar items, namely pencils, eyeglasses, cameras and shoulder bags.

But there weren’t just parabolas of Japanese around me. There were significantly larger gatherings of Arab people, also arranged loosely in geometric patterns. Some were standing equilaterally in groups of three while others were forming more abstract patterns that didn’t strike me as graph-able.

All these people had been talking amongst themselves, concerned only with affable chit chat and perhaps travel plans, but regardless of interest or location, every single person automatically stopped talking and started looking as soon as I entered the area. Immediately, all eyes were mechanically fixed on me.

I came waltzing in wearing my desert camouflage and the look appropriate of a soldier. As I walked by, the sets of eyes fixated on me seemed to multiply indefinitely. The genial yet incomprehensible chit chat, faded into elastic banter. The lounge had become an idle party. I was the only American and military figure of any kind in the passing audience.

I had originally entered with a dry but sharp expression on my face, not deliberately, really by default, but in any case I couldn’t keep that posture for very long. There was simply way to many people staring at me and the lounging area was just too long.

I tried to maintain my discipline, my detachment from the environment, but I couldn’t take it any longer. The more eyes on me that I noticed, the more my disposition began to change. Half way through my unusual amble the expression on my face slowly began to change from a look of gravity to progressively fading into a smile, and shortly thereafter, it became all out laughter. I just couldn’t believe how many fucking people where staring at me as I walked by them. Their odd formations didn’t help matters any.

In addition to my solitary existence, my uniform, and my purpose for being there, the overall presence of my attendance was probably extra confusing to these people as I seemed to be laughing all by myself as I strutted on by. Foreigners.

~Rolligun

11 Comments:

Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

"I had originally entered with a dry but sharp expression on my face, not deliberately, really by default, but in any case I couldn’t keep that posture for very long."

I am in love with that sentence.
It says so much in so few words.
Well done, sir.
Well done.

"Half way through my unusual amble the expression on my face slowly began to change from a look of gravity to progressively fading into a smile, and shortly thereafter, it became all out laughter."

And this one completes it.
Wonderful prose!

Thank you for sharing!

12:50 AM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

i gotta say, you are a wordsmith sir, i felt as though i was there. i could see the people, and you. i had no doubt of the expressions and the sheer visual i have of you, holding your gut, laughing with your eyes closed, mouth wide head reared back and just rolling laughter makes it even funnier. i am pretty sure that's not how it was, but that's what i saw you doing in my mind. heh. thank you.

1:22 AM  
Blogger missy said...

You know, I always feel like I'm a foreigner where ever I am... even at my parents'

1:45 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

I told ya so ;)

6:58 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Meghan,
thanks for enjoying it, that's all quite a compliment coming from you...if your not reading some of worlds best works, then your writing it.

Drunken,
I did refrain from bellowing my laughter, in fact I don't think I ever laugh like that, but I couldn't completely conseal it.
What would you have done?

Missy,
I'm not suprised coming from you, anyone that addresses her readers as "the universe" is bound to be out of place from time to time, but maybe that just means that you'll fit in to more places instead.

Steph,
I've never doubted you from the start. You're a very important part of it all.

12:09 PM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Why, sir, how you do make me blush.

Though, I think you exaggerate my abilities quite a bit.

Thank you, none-the-less.

4:10 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Just laughing hysterically... probably shouldn't but just imagining your sweet little American face among the "foreigners" is just funny to me!!!

You are a talented writer sweet boy!! Talented indeed...

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meghan,
O.K then...you're the most excellent author and reader of books, that the fine town of Conway, Arkansas has to offer.

(It was between you and Zeb's sidder)

BG.
It was bewildering expierience for all, my untimely, yet transportable laughter probably didn't do anything encourage foreign attitudes. Thanks for reading.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

O.K. not sure why blogger refuses to identify me, I mean I showed my ID and all...why?

what bizarre things blogger does sometimes.

9:49 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

rolli- it is my pleasure to read your site!! truly it is...

10:49 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

You know the worst thing for me is to walk through a crowd of people like that. I don't know how I'd feel having to do it when people really are looking at me and I so obviously stand out. That's the kind of stuff I'd give out medals for; you know if I was in charge of giving out medals.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home