Wednesday, March 08, 2006

nothing to talk about, verse two

second verse similar to the first...

I changed missions and switched companies back in mid-December. My new mission is Mortuary Affairs. Use your imagination.

I kept a semi-journal about the people who died that I personally saw and processed. I stopped updating it. Last count was 38.

That was on January 9.

I finally received my newly repaired Ipod.

Thank you to the fine folks from Apple, you have single handedly improved the security of the free world in the most infinitesimal way possible.

I still can’t speak Spanish, even in the form of functional yammering…so I continue to smile as pretty as I can.

{my new unit is from Puerto Rico}

I received three more magazines from my dad. Still no letter attached, however, at least I now understand the ambiguous nature behind his selections.

I recently watched the movie Spider Man. The last time I saw it, I was with my old girlfriend. I liked this movie. So naturally, I played Spider Man when we got back to my place. She called me “spidey” for the rest our relationship after that. Also, she bought me a pair of Spider man boxers, although I have never wore them. This is the only thing I could think about while I watched the movie.

There is a wonderful lady in the States who I have never met, yet she takes the time to send me things and thank the soldiers for their support. She’s my favorite silent reader, probably because she sends me things.

I started helping one of the guys in my new unit prepare to find a new job when he gets back. He promised his young family that he would get out of the Army when he's done. So I started helping him explore his interests and his skills, conduct research, interview prep and any other needed formalities (i.e. resume).

He shook my hand.

I recently benched 225 lbs ten times. “It’s no big deal.”

But secretly I’m happy about this.

I weigh 165 lbs.

I’ve been stalling on my R&R plans, in part because my original plan was shot in the ass when I transferred companies. Originally I was to travel with some friends from my old unit. I had successfully campaigned among them for these plans long ago, but now I will be traveling solo. This isn’t a problem however.

I was invited via email, to be a “friend,” on the Myspace page, of the former girlfriend, of a good friend of mine. I never really liked her and won’t be joining her site. I do like my friend though.

Sometimes I like to use commas unnecessarily.

I have a Myspace account, but don’t bother ever looking at it. It’s a desolate collection of nothingness as I have never done anything with it other than indicate the college I went too. I don’t even know how to find it.

I found out my mom has Lyme’s disease in an email from my sister that read, and I quote “Mom’s Lyme’s disease isn’t improving.” That was all. It was at the bottom of the email.

My initial reaction was “when the hell did this happen?!?” I reiterated that eloquencey in a return email and have yet to get a reply. That was a month ago.

Information flow is not a strength of the Rolligun Family.

It’s a good thing my family is small, otherwise I imagine I would still be learning people’s names.

Every other night I “sleep” on the Army’s version of a cot. By now you would think I should be professional assembler of these “cots”, but in actuality, they have never once failed in their pursuit to make a blundering fool out of me. Further insult is continually found in the added form of one loose, bar like extremity that frequently clangs off something at intolerable decibels while I blunder through the construction process. This pisses me off.

I unsuccessfully tried to send someone flowers on Valentines Day. That didn’t work by any stretch of the imagination.

I am taking the GMAT either during my R&R or instead of taking my four-day pass in Qatar. Either way, I’ll take the test in May. This is a good thing and I'll be happy to get it out of the way.

There is a sweet yet, conservative secretary who works in a professional setting at my old office. She occasionally emails me and had recently complimented me on the entertainment value of my return replies. So I decided to send her one of the absurdities I had written. I thought this was a good idea, mainly because I didn’t have much else to say that was different from the last time, but also because it was applicable. What wasn’t a good idea was the fact that I forgot to edit what I had written. So this sweet, yet conservative secretary who works in a professional setting at my old office, received a story annotated with profanities by me. That wasn’t part of my good idea.

I recently wore my “Navy” shirt. I’m not in the Navy, I’m in the Army. I had bought it earlier in the year to upset my old LT. I knew this would annoy him beyond belief by my wearing a navy shirt and it proved to have sufficiently done so. The first time he saw me in it, he said, again I quote “Rolligun! What is your problem?” To which I replied with my desire to show support for all of our forces. How can you argue with that?

In a related event…

The camp I’m at will invite local merchants to come and sell their crap to the United States military from time to time. One of these merchants was selling glass tobacco pipes, otherwise known as a bongs. As surprising as it was to see such an item available for purchase, I found even greater amusement in actually acquiring it. Not only did I believe in its value as pleasant decorative, but I assumed my LT would also find it’s appearance more than agreeable. Suprisingly, he didn’t see it that way. He responded with another rhetorical question and I was feverishly told to abandon it.

I put my Navy shirt back on instead.

The point of nothing to talk about is to relay relatively current things. Since I'm going back in time with the latter, I can consider this post compete. Also since I didn't pay much attention to conventional rules of grammar or design for that matter, I won't feel the least bit bad about ending this post abruptly.

The...

13 Comments:

Blogger beachgirl said...

Rolli- Sometimes I don't even know how to respond to what you write. But the one thing that jumped out at me was your mom... I do hope she is alright. My aunt suffered from Lyme Disease for years but has since recovered and is doing great. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers...

6:10 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

BG, (as if there was any confusion)

How come it's hard? I look forward to your comments, you always have something interesting and supportive to say. I'm happy that you comment at all.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It sounds like your family communicates much like mine. My sister, brother and I will all talk to our mom in the course of 24 hours and have wildly different stories about things like when she's planning to visit, where she lives, that sort of thing.

Hope your mom's doing well. That your sister writes back. That your cot stays together. Good luck with the R&R.

8:37 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

I think it's difficult for me to comment sometimes, b/c you are so insightful and you write so beautifully, that I'm afraid my comments are not relevant to your thought process... maybe I'm just a little scared that you will think my comments are just stupid... I just envy the way you can write about your life and what you think are meaningless topics are so very interesting to me...

However I am delighted that you like it when I comment....

10:08 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

BG,
If I thought it was meaningless, I wouldn't write it. I have kind of a dry nature and a tendency to be a little cynical or remote, but I wouldn't waste anyone's time with someting I didn't care about.

As far as my thought process, (funny that you acknowledge one) pretty much anything goes, it doesn't follow a set course and you could catch my attention with your presumption on flyswatters.

That'll do just fine.

"Delighted" at the very least.

Kristin,
So how do you and your siblings come to a resoulution? Do you sum the contents of the stories, or just pick the one that's most convieniant to all?

And of course, thank you for taking the time to comment and share your reaction.

11:26 PM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

I like the commas.
And the fact that you tried to send someone flowers.
And the fact that you appreciate other people who don't know you feeling tied to you - - wanting to send you things, etc.
And that you bought a bong.
Which I'm sure you will use for flavored tobacco usage only.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

We just keep going back to the source, trying to get a straight answer from Mom. When that doesn't work, we appoint someone [read: my brother] translator and send him back to Mom. It's not perfect, but it works for us. That's all that matters.

Oh, and our Dad sends clippings without a note. I can appreciate the story of the magazines.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

hehehe... this whole post makes me smile. if i weren't so drunk, i'd comment in a much less gay way.

12:15 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Imagine that- chud, drunk? NO WAY!!

Speaking of which I got a little tore up last night, I know, I know it was a school night and I am paying for it today... Why am I posting this here on rolli's site?? I have lost my mind apparently...

Rolli, I swear, if you had been in the states, and I actually had your number, I would have drunk dialed you...

12:02 AM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

ahh beachgirl, i too am a mad drunk dialer. habitual offender status. oh yes. i stand before you all, saying to you all, "my name is chud... and i am a drunk dialer".

4:41 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

I really hope you're mum is ok. Why not call and find out?

5:13 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Meg,
the bong was a joke, mainly for myself and a few other people liked the idea of it, didn't last long though, not that I thought it would. And for the record, especially for any military officials who have read, it was only used as a "pleasent decorative" I didn't even smoke legal tobacco out of it.

The lady that sends me stuff and other soldiers makes it very easy to appreciate.

The flowers, I thought was a really good idea, just never really materialized. I didn't even get the address right.

I'm gonna pass on the comma thing, nothing really comes to mind on that one.

Kristin,
as long as there is a plan in place that everyone is comfortable with...and I guess fathers are just a breed of few words, except when my own is drinking, then he's the smartest man alive. If were drinking together, then this leads to arguments, becuase I won't be shown up!

Drunken Chud,
that's all I could have hoped for,

BG,
that's not a bad place to be, in the drunken phone book of another. That's a very special thing to say, kind of like "I saw a shooting star and I made a wish for you" or something like that.

(be sure and tilt your head and place your hand on your heart when speaking about shooting stars, also soften voice)

Drunken Chud,
How's the after bar?

Steph,
I'm so happy you commented, things just haven't been the same with out you.

It's not a bad idea, I haven't actually made any phone call yet. She has moved, but my sister has her number.

Auburn,
thanks for the compliment, but I do thinks it's interesting that you say that. What I mean, is that I feel the same when way when I read your stuff. You write so intuitivelly, among other things, and you write about a part of us, that I'm not as in touch with. So reading you, forces me to look at things a little differently, or in places I don't normaly look in.
Does that make any sense? It's a good thing, there is a lot to learn, think, feel about what it is you write.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

First, I think you're a beautiful writer!

Secondly, I hope your mum's ok.

Thirdly, can I have that shirt? ;-)

And lastly, a reply to your post on my blog:

rolligun: If you are keen to start on reading graphic novels, many of us can provide a good list! I try not to talk geek sometimes because I started this blog initially to declare my undying love for P - the ex-greatest love of my life. Since that's over, now I wanted to write about my racy thoughts *coughs*. Since, I get too shy to write about it... I realise there is nothing else to write but a mundane account of my humdrum life. Maybe the universe will look after me in the end and give me inspiration!

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home