Thursday, February 16, 2006

Blowin' in the Wind

Have you ever been sitting down, perfectly content to entertain yourself as you deliberate your troubles. You have a problem, but your temporary answer is to let the issue breeze in and out of your mind. This spoken breeze bangs shudders back and forth, open and close, kicks up cerebral dirt and echoes deep blustery taunts for your inner-audio. But every so often it will blow a randomly plausible solution to your problem. This solution will whisk briefly past the backs of your eyeballs giving you a windy element of hope, only to be funneled out of your mind just as quickly as it came and rapidly forgotten with the bang of a shudder. But this is why you sit in peace, occupying yourself in a solitary ponder with the hope that one of these gusty premises will hold on, that it will swirl around long enough for you to turn it into a viable solution to your problems. It’s a meteorologically exhausting process that requires the combined attention of solitude, some form of troubling inspiration and at least one mindless physical task.

Note: Any task will do, just something to keep your hands busy while you wait for the next breeze.

Anyway, there you are sitting down (or whichever behavioral form of occupancy you choose) indirectly trying set your mind at ease. It’s just you, your problem and your mindless physical task. This is how you want it, with the exclusion of the problem of course, but that’s invariable at this point. Then something gets in the way. A disruption in the very course of nature. It’s called…a conversation. Sometimes unavoidable.

I’m not a patient person to begin with, but under circumstances like this, well, it’d be best if we hurry this discussion along. Urgently hurry along. For the safety of all at stake. A churning urgency.

Disruption: “Did you see my newest pictures from back home”

Rolligun: “Yes”

Persistent Disruption: “No, I’m mean the ones I just got”s

{shit}

Rolligun: “Oh…, no, not yet”

{quickly, quickly, concentrate on mindless physical task in an obvious manner}

Armed Disruption: “Here, look at this one”

{Shudders banging}

Rolligun: “oh, wow, I didn’t know you guys had one of those circular drive ways”

Puzzled Disruption: “Yeah, well, we do, but that’s not why I’m showing you the picture”

Rolligun: “no”

Jovial Disruption: “No, That’s my cousin Maggie standing next to our new car!”

Rolligun: “Well Maggie looks like a treat and the car, it’s nice, compliments the circular drive way”

A discussion like this continues on for several centuries, and I slowly start imagining myself banging my head off the corner of a table. I don’t want to be selfish, but I’m rather consumed at the moment with my own sense of loss and frustration, which is shrouded under the disguise of a mindless physical task. It has nothing to do with Maggie and the new car. (Although I will consider having a circular drive way one day)

Eventually we come to the conclusion of the photos and I wonder how many roles of film this project took. Also, I quietly take comfort in the fact that I made it through this enduring event without actually breaking anything on my forehead.

Then the unthinkable occurs. I accidentally get caught up in the natural pursuit of an amiable exchange. A temporary achievement in stupidity, I make the mistake of mentioning something…that is on my mind.

{Oh god what have I done?}

This opens the door for a whole new topic of conversation. I just wanted to go back to letting my mind float around the atmosphere in the hopes that it will settle itself. I especially didn’t want to continue talking, much less about what’s on my mind.

This prompts my photo wielding enthusiast to assume the role of advice giver. He begins with recounting personal stories of both triumph and malfunction, all in effort to support his unnecessary diagnosis.

{Oh please God give me a table, a brick, anything with a density greater than my head, please.}

I don’t take to advice. Giving me your guidance is on par with prodding a donkey. Good luck. I already have a system in place for determining my awareness or choosing which foolish course of action to take. It involves separation, a stormy conscious, and a mindless physical task. Quite simple really, all I ask from the public is that they let me be.

Often times one’s advice is a reflection of themselves. Consequently, people take great pride in giving advice, at least the ones who set out to make a valuable contribution and at the same time are able to take themselves seriously. So I do appreciate these efforts, even if they are unwelcome by my stoic donkey demeanor. In turn, I do my best to portray a reasonably interested appearance. I listen, but I strategically place as many encouraging yet (here’s the important part) culminating remarks as possible. I say things like…

Your absolutely right, I’ll do that.

Holy SHIT, that’s exactly what I needed to hear.

Well said, I just didn’t know how to put it into words.

True man, very True.

And finally…

FUCK YOU!!! That’s it!! That’s it right there, you’ve FUCKING got it!

Tactfully littered annotations from me that suggest the advice giver has made his point. The message has been received and everything will now be the better for it. Thank you for your courageous work. Please go now.

Apparently I didn’t achieve a suitable balance of agreeable comments vs. you can go now comments, and the advice giver found himself continually satisfied with the progress he was making. So I had to resort to blatant non-verbal clues such as piercing my eyes, paralyzing my facial muscles (with mouth open), juggling readily available objects, and finally knocking myself out with an ammo can. My efforts finally registered, and the advice giving session ended. It was an awkward ending, the kind where you each look at each other for an uncomfortable period of time, but nonetheless, it was all done now.

So back it is to my solitude, my troubles and of course, the mindless physical task. I can now peacefully resume waiting for all the answers to come blowing in.

~Rolligun

(feel free to act out “facial paralysis” if you haven’t already done so)

12 Comments:

Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

And THAT RIGHT THERE is why I hate "work friends." You can't be near as blunt with them.

My real friends, I just say "Hey, seriously, I wouldn't mind hearing all this later, but I'm in my want-to-be-alone state."

I, however, am very glad that you just alerted the world to the fact that not ALL of us want mindless chit-chat during menial tasks. Nor do we want unsolicited advice.

Now, having said all that about understanding a need of space and quiet . . . forget it, and tell me:

What was your issue, problem, connundrum, poser and what was Polaroid boy's approach at an answer??

(Curiousity killed the cat and this pussy's going down)

2:35 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

I am trying to think of something witty or charming to say here but I would much rather just be alone with my thoughts and ponder life's meaning...

As for advice, I'm older than all y'all so you're getting my opinion whether you want it or not... you can do with what you will...

Rolli, I get what you are saying and I do have to agree with what you wrote, but there are times when we need to break out of our world of solitude and reach out to others..It may just be as simple as looking at some dude's pictures of a stupid new car... but then again you could just tell him to F-off and be done with it.. Either way, I love ya to pieces!!

9:43 PM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

there are a few things that make my ears slam shut. such as any words that start with "boyf" and "husb" uttered by any girl i'm hitting on. and unsolicited advice. i'm with ya rolli. but here's what you should have done...

10:57 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

chud- you are precious beyond words... I cannot wait until the right girl comes along and just steals your heart... You will be begging her for the title of boyfriend and/or husband!!!

12:09 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Meg,
Put the cat back in the bag.

Laurie,
Thank you for that very comprehensive evaluation.

Are you gonna hand that in?
(I'm kidding, I liked it)

It's cool, some people prefer the suggestions or "evaluation" of others, if nothing else but as a comparison. I just happen to hate advice, I never follow it, I never ask for it, very stubborn like that. What works for me is just "reflection" I typically know what I'm going to do anyway and it's just a matter of letting my thoughts develop, examine the alternatives, which is why I don't like distractions during this phase.

BG,
I thought the first chapter of your comment was "witty"

In chapter two ~ no I don't want your advice, please re-read the entire post and then come back and comment again.

I do think you made a good point in the third verse, that being sometimes you need to change the environment or derail your course of thought, that's important sometimes, but I still don't want to be bothered when I'm doing this.

Chud,
Well said, it's a "trigger" and I liked your finish...LoL

(LoL is only one of two digital acronyms I know)

12:10 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Well darlin, if you would re-read my previous comment, I don't give a crap if you want my opinion (different from advice)or not- you'll get it and you'll like it mister! I'm feeling a little agressive today, I'm not sure why.... Rolli, I think you just make me that way...

2:06 AM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Roger that.

Minidiscussion, my ass.
He just likes telling me what to do.
And having someone who comments.
To get his numbers up.
It's a virtual one night stand.

Wait, was that out loud?

2:29 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

I couldn't a shit less about my numbers...and besides I already have the best readers around...

and it's not virtual one night stand if you keep coming back now is it?

BG, it's ok, I have the fortunate ability of putting people on edge.

12:42 PM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

The only reason I keep coming back is because it's so good.

Wait, that was meant to be a scathing comeback . . I believe I failed miserably.

And even managed to compliment you.

Jayzus, I'm losing my touch.

6:41 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

meggie, I think you are losing your touch, what's going on with you?? BTW how does St.Patrick's Day sound for your visit to Nashvegas?? since rolli has desserted his site for a few days, we might as well use for our own girlie purposes!!!

rolli-sometimes the edge can be a good and exciting place ;)

7:18 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

BG,
I'll have you know that, to date, I have never abandoned my post, or broken any of the other "General Orders." To date.

11:09 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

I said "for a few days"... however I appreciate and welcome your assertiveness...Nice, very nice...

What in heavens name is wrong with me?? Did I just say that out loud?? I guess I'm just feeling a little cheeky these days.. you'll just have to excuse me...

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home