Thursday, December 22, 2005

Reality

It’s sometimes hard to understand why we do the things that we do. How we come to feel the way that we do. Why one decision is made over another. These are all natural curiosities and questions in life. They can be applied one way or another to everything that happens. Generalities. In an attempt to apply select meaning to this assertion, I will focus on one venue in particular.

One of the most confusing platforms of misunderstanding is in the form of attraction. Attraction and any extension of it, whether it be relationships, dating, lust or the simple crush. Attraction can exist with or with out the conscious knowledge of two people. Even if the other person is unaware of the attraction, they still are a variable in the equation nonetheless. I do have a simple mathematical explanation as to why the notion of attraction is so much more complicated than the other avenues of life. Take for example, your personal struggles when it comes to your own handling of stressful events or what happens when you’re faced with decisions you don’t want to make? What about regrets? How come I feel this way? Everyone has asked themselves questions like this at one time or another, if you haven’t, I would say you’re not human, and the expression “ignorance is bliss” truly applies to you, in the strongest and most biological context possible. Your life is simple and empty, but you don’t care to know. Remember back on that episode of “internal confusion.” That episode you experienced, alone, all by yourself in a circumstance exclusive to you and only you. Now add another person. Intensify the equation by the inclusion of one. I warned you it was a simple explanation; it’s the difference between one and two.

It’s a matter of understanding two different sets of motivations. Two different sets emotions, two sets of perception and two sets of interpretation. Include all others I miss. Every factor multiplied exponentially by the power of two. With all that room for error, it’s no wonder that the stages of attraction generate so much confusion, heartache and misunderstanding.

It’s important to note the difference between perception and interpretation. The difference between perception and interpretation is, perception is what you believe to be true, while interpretation is what you deem the variable would believe to be true. It’s slight, but significant.

Inspirations for attraction are as unpredictable as anything else metaphysical. Attraction can be the result from year’s of acquaintance, triggered one day by a delicate smile. It could happen instantly, from the first time you see their eyes, and you witness more than a retina. It can grow from what you discover about someone or by what you learn from them personally. However, that knowledge may be disseminated. The possibilities are infinite. There simply is no explanation for the causes of attraction. The levels of certain chemicals in the brain can be measured, but that is only a symptom, not the cause. Sometimes the only rational explanation could be found in the alignment of the moon and the stars, but to my knowledge, the bounds of science, also, haven’t been able to predict, determine, or explain attraction. I’m sure Stephen Hawking is trying his damdest.

So what is my point? Am I here to self-indulge my own explanation concerning the principles of attraction? Would that even mean anything to anyone, or would they want their time back? How many questions can I possibly ask in a row?

My point is to bring the elements of unexplainable cause back to reality. To find away to bring functionality to a disabling equation. The only way, for me, to find the answers is to break everything down. The same process used in any sort of progressive mathematics. We begin by factoring the questions asked earlier. Ultimately, we want to set the equation equal to zero. That is the starting point for everyone.

What is my motivation? - What is her's? = Do we want the same thing?

What am I feeling? X What does she feel? = Emotional Anarchy.

(What do I believe – What do I think she believes?) / (What does she believe – What she thinks I believe) = Where does everybody come from?

Simplify the equation: Sum the totals and you’ll find it = The Chaos Theory

Start over and do it again.

Continue to Simplify and cancel out. This time rearrange everything. The objective is to bring the equation back down to zero. That is how to achieve function.

Otherwise, your solution is the Chaos Theory.

*Assemble this equation however you see fit, this is my perception only, yours may (and should) be different.*

Like I said, the purpose of my dissertation is to find a way to bring the elements of unexplainable cause back to reality. I don’t like confusions or distractions. Relationships, dating and crushes precede those results.

I like simplicity, reason and function.

Simplify the factors and cancel out the variables. The objective is to set the equation equal to zero. That is how to achieve function.

If you can’t solve it, can’t bring it all back down to zero, then it means that the combined attraction equals more than the sum of its parts. Then you may have something. A special circumstance for the two of you, and you are ready to move on to the equations of intimacy and love. I have never been there, so I can’t help. Good luck.

~Rolligun

11 Comments:

Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry, but my perception is that this is all for naught. You can't apply reason and rationality to emotions. I desperately wish it were so, but all that flies out the window the second hormones begin to flow through the body at the mere inkling of interest in another person.

I can never decide if I love the thrill I get when I'm attracted to someone, or hate it. Because I know, inevitably, reality will come crashing down at any moment bringing with it doubt, confusion, fear - the emotional anarchy you described.

VERY thought provoking post. (loved the Hawking reference!)

5:58 PM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

What is my motivation? - What is her's? = Do we want the same thing?

ok, so... to simplify A-B=C

What am I feeling? X What does she feel? = Emotional Anarchy.

therefore DE=F

(What do I believe – What do I think she believes?) / (What does she believe – What she thinks I believe) = Where does everybody come from?

alright, so (x-[1/2y])/(y-[1/2x]=z

so are you sursmising then that the sum of c+f+z= 0?

if so then we are grossly underestimating what the other person believes... it all makes sense now. now, i'm going to get drunk and try to actually work that equation. anyhow dude, great post.

2:44 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

You think waaaaaaaaaaaay too much. Attraction can't be explained. No scientist, theologist, or psychiatrist can explain in a broken down forumla way, how it works.

I just know it feels good :)

5:59 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Pumpkin- you are still young, give it some time and don't over think it... Sometimes it just feels good to "go with it"...
Yep, you may get hurt but you might just fall in love...it's the chance you take...

6:56 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I have degrees in Women’s Studies and English so all this Mathematical stuff is a bit over my head. However, Chud’s and your use of it is kinda hot. Ok, really hot. I love myself some nerdy boys.

Now, as for the Rules of Attraction; who the hell knows. I have a really bad habit of falling for Conservative boys the exact opposite of me. So in my opinion, trying to apply logic to attraction fails miserably. ‘Cause God knows, I would have snagged myself a nerdy Liberal boy who has tattoos, likes to read, has good taste in music, is socially conscientious and finds my sense of humor to his liking, a long time ago. :-)

Don’t worry, love will come your way. Maybe if you had paid more attention to that Fly Killing Girl from that training. Or maybe love will find you back in the States standing behind you in line at the grocery store. You just gotta keep an open mind and an open heart.

And this is coming from the bitter, cynical, and beat down on love one… So there is always hope.

So anyway, what brought this up as a topic?

8:37 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Meghan,
thanks for using the parlance of my post, you're a careful and effectual reader

I know you can't apply reason to things such as this, it was my deliberate attempt at sitire.

Drunken Chud,
did you find your midnight wife and dazzle her with calculated reasoning?

Steph,
I THINK we have to talk about this.
Explainition is one thing while reasoning is another.

Beachgirl,
my little seashell, I dwell on everything, it's is both an advantage and a curse. And there is all of the time in the world.

Heidi,

"what brought this up?"

Girls, History, ...a crush of mine.

10:23 AM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Hmm. . . satire, yes, yes, I've heard of such things. I was just unsure that a soldier was witty enough to provide. :)

So, honey bee, when shall the exchange of information - also known lovingly as the Inquisition - set to commence?

1:14 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

A crush huh? It's Fly Killing Girl isn't it??

6:48 PM  
Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

Dude, great post. Attractions are complex. I'm all for how they feel though.

And Girl that Kills Flies-c'mon, she had skills! LOL AND she carried a gun. Can't beat that.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Meghan,
You would be suprised as to what us soldiers are capable of.

I'm down for whenever. It can be as a post thing or an email thing. I'll be ready for you!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

AKA,
Welcome back, I'm glad to see you found some time in your day for my blog.

Don't worry about the math, my formulas were all wrong anyway. Back to the lab.

Heidi,
no it was not the fly girl. There was something iteresting about her though, or may have a little closer the peculiar side of things.

Chairborne,
I don't want a girl with a gun, I have a loud mouth that fit's my foot all to well. I need girls with safety scissors, that is all.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home