Sunday, December 11, 2005

Directions For Your Mind...

In high school, I took a creative writing course. Why, I am not sure. It probably included the same logic that inspired me to also choose home ec and welding. Regardless of curriculum, I was truant for everything. My teacher was old and eccentric and I liked her for that. I don’t remember her name.

I thought about one of the assignments she gave us. I don’t know how I came to think of this, but in any case, the instructions were as follows:

Step One…Locate Pen & Paper
Step Two…Apply Pen to Paper, and under no circumstances will you stop applying pen to paper. Just keep writing.

Actually, I think her directions were a little different. This is a paraphrased recollection; however the premise remains the same. Just keep writing.

The idea is too write without stopping. Even if it means you begin counting or naming. Anything chronological or any form of continuous identification will do, so long as you don’t stop applying pen to paper. Just keep writing. Eventually you will begin to write things you never would have thought possible. You may surprise yourself or you may learn something new. You may find answers or you may start asking the *right* questions. Just keep writing.

I believe it is called “Free Association Writing” although I am not positive. The objective is too tap into your sub-conscious by continuing to write. A conscious form of dreaming. Just keep writing.

It is my nature to question everything.

Why did that happen?
Where did that come from?
Why do people do what they do?
What will happen next?

I dwell on the answers.

Sometimes you have to find a creative solution to figure things out for yourself.

I don’t remember my dreams, so this sounds like a good alternative.

Just keep writing.

~Rolligun

6 Comments:

Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Sounds as though you had a wonderful teacher.

I had a Creative Writing instructor in college that made us do the same thing at least one class per week.

I learned more about myself in that class than I have anywhere else ever.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Megan
She was a good teacher now that I think about...she never yelled at me once!

9:15 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Megan

How rude of me!!!

Welcome to my blog and thanks for sharing a comment.

There is plenty of room in here so feel free to look around, I doubt you will have to worry about bumping into anyone. Lot's of elbow room in this bar.

9:19 PM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

LOL - do you normally get yelled at a lot??

As for the elbow room, I doubt it lasts for long. People tend to migrate a lot and watch out when they do! My blog was up for months with only one or two people (including my best friend from college) commenting . . . then one day - it just exploded.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Yet another one that i discovered!! I think I should find readable blogs full time.What do you think? Start a service? hehehehe.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Steph

I am sure anything you do full time will be a success.

Choose wisely.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home