Thursday, December 15, 2005

Mission Change

Finally I have been released! I have been tasked out to another company for a new mission. Five months (three in country) of being both a problem and a solution for my LT.

“Oh’ say can you see…”

I just found out this morning, knew nothing of it. I leave tomorrow. Start tomorrow. It will be my third change of residence since I have been here. The first two were with my company, this one I leave solo. Tonight, I pack my shit.

2Lt: “Sgt Rolligun, I need to speak with you.” {always with the hands, (what is his deal?)}

Me: “Yeah”

I thought this was going to be my weekly lecture and turn into another homework assignment. (I may write about those someday)

I have been pleading and volunteering for things that don’t even exist. That’s how bad I wanted out. Originally I was trying to go further north, and was hoping to jump on one mission in particular come February or so. That may not happen anymore, it may have never happened. But I’ll take this. I wasn’t necessarily given a choice, my company commander needed someone and my platoon SGT suggested me, good ole LT obliged.

Thank you and GOOD BYE.

I have spoken very little of my old mission, in part because of OPSEC (Operational Security), but also because it was painfully uneventful. Trust me, you weren’t missing anything by me not writing about it. This new mission, however, is a whole different story. I won’t be going on patrol or living in a combat zone, like Chairborne does. I will still be stationed in Kuwait, but it may provide more opportunity for travel, experience and service.

Anyway here’s the jist of it. It’s kind of fucked up. Basically, I will be attached to a mortuary affairs unit. My job will be to inventory and filter the final possessions of our proudly deceased. To classify and collect, as well as making sure there isn’t any conflicting, embarrassing or illegal stuff leftover, that eventually goes back to the family. My excitement definitely tampered a bit when this was explained to me. I could have backed out if I really wanted too; my commander asked me if I could do it, if I could handle it. I accepted.

As the mission was being explained to me, my mind started to wander and I thought about what the hardest part will be. Here goes. It will come when I have to start watching the home movies. A home movie of say, a birthday party held for the absent soldier. A video that was previously sent to the deceased to say “we miss you, we love you, whether you are here or not we will celebrate for you, we’re proud of you.”

(As I write this, one of my roommates, a father, is smiling and stops me to share his own home video with me. It’s about his daughter, davy crockett and apple seeds) This is what I am talking about!!!, something graphic and physical, something that brings infinite happiness to him as he misses his family…What timing.

I watch him smile.

I smile.

Back to the hypothetical video.

The video will be full of laughs and excitement. There will be a proud and anxious spouse lighting candles on a cake. Everyone doing everything they can to celebrate their love and pretend this feeling of absence doesn’t exist. There will be young kids frolicking around in the back yard with birthday hats on. Missing part of their world, but celebrating just the same. The video will end with an enthusiastic…

“Happy Birthday!, We love!!, Come home soon!!!.”

The whole family blows out the candles together, makes a wish, and the video stops.

Never in my wildest imagination have I ever thought I’d being doing something like this. I am not even sure if this is something I want to do, although a little late now. I just wanted OUT of my last mission and I couldn’t work for my LT. But what the fuck!!, I am not a mortician. I don’t even like doctor visits. I’ll quarrel intensely with anyone who wants to stick me with a needle. It won’t be an easy process. Well digress, I’ve been disillusioned with my role over here anyway, this definitely is something different.

I wonder if they’ll let me write letters to these people.

One step further…

I will be sorry to leave some of my troops. I have some good relationships with them. I take pride in the fact that I’m kind of the alternative SGT, the one who they can talk off the record with. Balance and variety is my forte.

I will also miss SGT Oscar, we were the only two people who fought for things. We have twenty miserable soldiers, who keep asking “what and why.”
Despite never ending headaches, we tried to establish as much reason and sensibility as we could. I really admire this guy, he’s about fifteen years older than me, but is probably the most gifted “people” person I know. He’s also a career professional in his civilian life, and I’m just getting started. He doesn’t know it, but I quietly assigned him as one of my mentors. I tend to do that sometimes, even without them knowing about it.

Still, I am happy to be leaving.

I don’t know how long I will do this and I am not sure what happens next, but in any case, I leave tomorrow.

~Rolligun

13 Comments:

Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Be safe and careful.
And be mindful of your mental state. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not take too much upon you. The personal belongings of dead soldiers . . . you're an amazingly strong person to even think of accepting such an assignment to begin with.

I admire you and your ambition.
Someone has to do it.
I hope your mental fortitude gets you through.

We're here to bitch to, bitch at or bitch with when the time comes. Use your blog as an outlet.

Good luck! Be safe in your travel, as well.

And on a lighter note - Don't steal anything. Even if it's really good.

12:10 AM  
Blogger Sherri Williams said...

Yes, be safe in your travels.

What a difficult job but so important. As a soldier's wife myself, I can tell you it is a job very much appreciated. Thank you...

2:20 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Oh lordy,what a job! You're out of the fry pan and into the fire with this one.

I think ( and i don't know you that well but from reading you) that you are a strong, thoughtful man. Please try and keep perspective. I don't know how you will but i just hope that you can keep it together. Some would say that what you will be doing is much harder than fighting in the trenches.

Good luck babe.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Nope, couldn't do it.

I actually got a little sick to my stomach just reading the job description.

But who knows? Maybe it will be good. In a way, it is kind of a privilege; getting a chance to see all the humanity and love in the world, getting to glimpse into others lives, loves, hopes and fears. Getting to find out what is important to people without actually knowing who they are. It’s an opportunity to see humanity at its best.

But I still don’t think I could do it.

Good luck.

5:57 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Meghan
Thank you for your concern. It's ever so thoughtful and I will most likely blog about it to some degree or another.

As far as my mental state, I am not worried about it.

I would never steal from anyone, well maybe the gluttonous rich. Just kidding

Mommy
I appreciate your kind words. The more purpose I have the better, and thanks for commenting on my blog.

Steph
I can always keep perspective, its one of my strong points. If anyting this will only add to it. But I do imagine this will be unlike anything I ever expected.
To be continued...

Heidi
Well said, you spoke better of that additional "perspective" than I have could

Buggy
(Your boyfriend has skill for assigning funny nicknames)
Also, thank you for your support, and I will write, I'll just include some sort of disclaimer.

11:58 AM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Oh come on, admit it, you've stolen SOMETHING in your life . . we all have . . even if it was inadvertant. What'd ya steal, what'd ya steal (jumping up and down, squeeling)???

And yes, I am a horrid person for continuing this question-Rolligun-about-his-personal-life-via-comments. I do it to everyone - ask Steph what I asked/mentioned on her blog this morning.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

meghan
If integrity wasn't an army value, I wouldn't answer this, damn you meghan!!! You have to start asking questions that won't make me pull out the dusty files...Yes, I am guilty of thievry as well, however, like I said I never stole anything from anyone (person). A childhood endeavor like so many others. Don't hate me...

11:51 PM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Alright, alright.
No more questions.
For now.
Besides, you didn't answer it anyway! You were supposed to tell me WHAT You stole. :)

I stole a Pink Cabbage Patch Kids purse from K-Mart.

I was 3.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

A bottle of "goldshlagger(?)" in high school and more than once. Me and a friend were routinely in charge of getting the parties ready for the weekend.

1:29 AM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Oh god, if we're counting that . . .

Hell, even when I was home for breaks in college - my brother and I would go to the local "watering hole" and steal coolers full of beer out of the back of the pickup trucks.

Full supply of alocohol, every break, every weekend - never failed.

1:47 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Like I said those are "dusty files"

Since then, I've given to charity and legally purchased everything, both legal and illegal.

God, how many doors can I possibley open?

2:03 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

got arrested for it.

2:07 AM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Hmmm . . . lots of skeletons in your closet. I'm intrigued beyond measure.

2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home