Wednesday, January 18, 2006

36 Hour Day

Life has been pretty busy lately. But I’m not sure if that statement accurately describes what I mean. I tend to be a creature of habit. I’m at my best when I operate on a schedule in which I’m familiar and with everyday jobs that I’m aware of. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind breaking my schedule to do things out of the ordinary, but that’s only when I can reserve those interruptions for activities that are convenient for me. Needless to say, such opportunities don’t exist anymore.

My days during this deployment have always blended together to one degree or another, but lately I have come to the conclusion that I don’t operate on a 24 hour schedule any longer. In an effort to manage my life, my expectations, my agenda, I’ve elected to change the typical calendar day to a 36 hour model. The usual necessity of knowing whether or not today is Monday or Thursday does not apply. Rarely do I know what day of the week it is, nor can I remember the last time that information was important to me. So 36 hour days it is. My intent is to regain that sense of balance.

In the last seventy-two hours, or rather two days, I’ve been bouncing back and forth between different camps, sleeping in irregular three and four hour intervals and only sensing a repetitive familiarity but once.

(Insert your own Transition)

The Kuwaiti Emir recently died. I believe he had been in power since 1978. Kuwait is governed under a “constitutional monarchy” which is very similar to the type of government in the UK for example. I know these things because I had prepared a cultural awareness class for my troops several months back. The country is roughly the size of New Jersey. Also, there are approximately 1.6 males for every female. Interesting number that 1.6, it is also commonly referred to as Phi, but you can research that for yourselves. It’s purely coincidence in this case, nothing scientific about it, as the heavy population of males is attributed to an imported work force. Anyway, his death, as tragic as it is, is also a factor in the 36 hour day.

I still have some loose ends to tie up with this new plan, of officially having a longer day. I realize that this will have an effect on universal titles for 24 hour groupings (i.e. days of the week) as well as some holidays. But none of those things have been important to me, so I will iron out the kinks sometime in Mapril.

~Rolligun

6 Comments:

Blogger beachgirl said...

Let me know how this new plan works for you... I could probably use a few more hours in the day.. This Social Season is going to be rough! I know, you're crying a river for me... but just think of all the great pictures I'll send of beautiful ladies in pretty dresses..oh but wait, maybe I shouldn't send them... I wouldn't want to "frustrate" you... ;)

12:36 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

BG,
The plan has been in effect for sometime, I just recently put it into calender format.

Also, I've felt the depths of my frustration with pictures, I can handle anything now.

12:38 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Hey- check your email...

1:06 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Baby boy, I wish i could give you a soft place to rest your head. Please try and get enough sleep.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

BG,
alright, on it.

Laurie,
Thanks for the compliment, but I don't belong to any leagues. Also, your talking about a guy who yammers "huh" more than anything else.

Steph,
Baby Boy?!? I don't understand. I feel like I should ask you for candy.

11:28 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

laurie- I am so proud of you!! that was a very southern thing to say... Babygirl, you are just too preicous and I do luv ya more than my luggage!!!

** see what I did there? There were 2 terms of endearment and a reference to a southern girl's FAVORITE movie, Steel Magnolias...

RG- we have SOOOOOO much to teach you.....

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home