Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas Coal

I like Christmas. I like getting things and enjoy giving them as well. The holiday energy isn’t lost, on me. Despite any internal tendencies to become rather grinch-ish. There’s lots of lights and lot’s of money being spent (I have a business background, and I’m shameful spender, this holiday makes sense to me). Even the month itself is great. It has the best snow, large fluffy flakes, complete with a slow descend. December has the most smiles and the most excitement, in all of winter. January and February on the other hand, bring gray skies, icy snow, and harbor the dreaded “calendar row” (my term for boring days of charted dullness). Until spring finally arrives, the best season of all. In any case, I vote “nay” on having Christmas bi-yearly or anything less. I get it, when people talk of ad nuaseum family visits. But I avoid that problem.

When I was six years old, I was just like any other little guy this time of year. I was looking forward to PRESENTS. The concept of Christmas wasn’t something I was aware of, much less important to me. I just did what little boys do. When no one was looking. For all intensive purposes I was greatly deserving, on an annual basis, to be rewarded each Christmas, for my visible behavior. Thank you Santa, now turn around please, and look the other way.

I don’t intend on analyzing my childhood behavior for you, rather I aspire to paint a picture of Christmas morning. I had a dad who enjoyed asserting himself as the gift giving benefactor, next to the tree. I had a mom who would sneak early Christmas presents and an older sister who did her best to provide separation and drama to the event. Despite growing up in a disconnected household, I could always say I came from a generous assembly of residents. Lot’s of presents for all!!!

On Christmas Eve, I would go to bed unable to control my excitement just likes thousands of other fortunate kids. Santa isn’t aware of my crimes, tomorrow will be grand! The sooner I sleep the sooner I un-wrap. It didn’t take long for me to realize that falling asleep under these conditions wasn’t possible, so I did the only thing any logical six year would do. I convinced myself of imminent disappointment. Tomorrow morning nothing will happen, no presents are given. Forget it. None whatsoever. My ruse works and I fall asleep, under the impression that I will be exchanging households in the coming New Year. Whatever works I suppose.

I wake up and quickly remind myself that the bad dreams I had the night before were a result of my own doing, my medium to fall asleep. Off to the tree I go.

“Wake up, Wake up!”
“We got shit to do!” (I say something similar to that effect)

Everybody takes their positions. My dad kneels down by the tree. My mom (use to be a photographer) gets her camera, and positions herself at a 45 degree angle. My sister yells about something and plays with the dogs.

I have to wait for her and it pisses me off.

Eventually the festivities begin.

My dad hands out a present to my sister. She opens it and cheers. Flash, Click. My mom takes a picture. My dad then hands a present to my mom. It’s from one of our dogs. No pictures are taken. My dad looks at me, and hands out another present, to my sister. It’s from different dog, followed by another picture. Flash, Click. My dad looks at me again, and gives a present, to another dog.

“Quit fucking with me old man!”

I yell with all the conviction my little lungs could offer. (I may have edited that message before it was actually delivered.)

Somebody spills coffee or something and all activities are put on hold.

“Dammit! I’ll take care of it.”
We have presents to open. (If I don’t take control of the situation, it could an hour or more before I get my presents)

My Dad gets back under the tree and gives another present to my mom.
Apparently, it’s from me, and she thanks me for it.

“No Problem”

O.k. O.k. Let’s keep moving here.

The phone rings.

(Oh, bloody hell)

Rolligun, come say merry Christmas to your grandmother.

“No” (I am not ready to speak to anyone yet)

“Get OVER HERE!!!”

“Fine”

“But when I’m done I better be unwrapping something”

I delicately handle the holiday conversation with my grandma. I engineer a perfect balance between courtesy and expedience. It’s not an easy thing to do.

Alright, back to the tree. But first, I unplug the phone.

Everyone gets back into position. All ready to go. Then my mom decides she needs a different camera. My sister gets back up and starts playing with the dogs and her presents.

I wait, again.

I think about jumping out the window.

(Little did I know this training would pay off in the Army one day)

Finally!! Festivities resume.

For all those concerned, I have been an excellent example of a “big boy” all year long. I didn’t cry about anything. I didn’t destroy any of our own property. Didn’t run away once. Not one teacher or baby sitter had cried to date. Absolutely perfect. I am ready to receive.

My dad looks at me. I look at him. He grabs a present. I look at the present. He looks at me. He’s grinning. I’m not.

Here you go Rolligun.

(‘bout fucking time)

My mom changes angles and gets in position.

The present is small, but that is o.k. It’s heavy.

I unwrap this gift with ferocity of a wild dog, although I don’t eat the paper.

In my hands is a small, odd shaped and chalky object. It’s black.

And it’s a Lump of coal.

“…From Santa, To Rolligun”

“What the fuck is this?!!!”

Flash. Click.

My dad is grinning, my mom is changing film and my sister has taken it upon herself to look for more presents.

The dogs sit next to me, and they aren’t laughing either.

That’s it! I am putting plan B into effect.

January 1’st, I’m moving out. Not far, just down the street. I will also change all future philosophies on obedience. I think I will choose the “Whitaker” household. There are no other children, they’re old and move slowly. They also have a dog. It will make for a fine home, for me.

Afterthought~~

I was warned about this possibility, but I couldn’t imagine my dad would actually materialize such a cruelty.

I will always remember how much he enjoyed the event. At my delicate expense.

I never actually moved out. My parents did redeem themselves.

Also, the phone didn’t ring for the rest of the day. Woops.

~Rolligun

*Merry Christmas*

17 Comments:

Blogger beachgirl said...

Oh pumpkin- that was so hysterical!!! You are such a gifted writer...

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!!!

11:37 PM  
Blogger Sherri Williams said...

Too funny. Something similar happened to my dad when he was little and I tell the story often to my kids!! It's a great deterrent!!

Merry Christmas, Rolligun!

6:55 AM  
Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

Great post, man. Merry Christmas to ya!

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I unplugged the phone."

*giggles* Man after my own heart concerning presents!

I always would get threatened with coal...I tell that to my kids and they say "Well mom, you were rotten! No respect I tell ya!

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to You.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

beachgirl,
does someone pay you to come to my site? It's not that I don't appreciate your glorious presence, it's just that for the life of me, I can't figure out why.

Anyway, thanks for enjoying my old tales of holiday misery. As long as your enjoying yourself, that's all I care about.

Mommy,

Your father was a victim of this type of parental malice?, I'm so sorry, I hope it stopped with him. I hear such behavior can become hereditary.

C.S.
Thanks, and Merry Christmas to you!

My day was pretty much the same as yesterday, and last wed. and well you get the point. But, the feeling is still there so...the hell with it...sneers and cheers for all!

Janie,
Respecting my elders has always been an inherant value of mine, if you would like, I would be more than happy to speak to your children about the importance of it all

And thanks you for commenting on my blog! It's always good to hear from people.

8:32 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Oh Pumpkin- I enjoy reading different blogs, I saw that you were posting over on Meg's site and I was intrigued.. so I just popped over to check it out...

Like my momma always says (I know I sound like Forrest Gump)... just say thank you, and don't stare, it's rude...

Merry Christmas!!

8:58 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that one. :-)

Merry Christmas.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Oh coal... I got that one year as well. I think our fathers were cut from the same cloth.

Happy Holidays.

3:40 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Yeah i'm with Laurie, what happened???? Did you get some presents or what?

I hope you did. Merry christmas.xx

3:23 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

beachgirl,
"don't stare" for some reason I found that part of your reply really funny. Nevermind.

Heidi,
perhaps a comparison of notes is in order. I've received both good and bad qualities from the old man.
For example, I have a tendency to be absent minded, a tad. When I was a little kid and he would come pick me up from practice, I use to have to chase his ass down while he drove right by me. Dammit open your eyes!

Laurie,
thank you for your concern. It's good to know that I have readers who are concerned about my welfare, even if it was 20 years ago. Yes, I did receive some presents, that is why I didn't become a "whitikar"

Steph,
see above. And thank you for the little x's you included in your comment. I find them to be very warm and friendly. Merry christmas to you too.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

the house I was gonna move into if need be, see last paragraph

It's an arbitrary name, I couldn'r remember for sure

12:38 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Drunkin,

Anything I say in this blog is in one way or another for "learning purposes" only.

It is not meant to be a guide for future wrongdoings, you have to promise me, that you won't scare your children like that ever, or I may have to ban you from my blog.

Take care partner

12:52 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Pumpkin- Glad I could make you laugh... I think or were you poking fun at me??

Anyway I hope you had a pleasant Christmas (if that's possible over there)

10:53 PM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

No I wasn't making fun of you, so far I have been able to bite my tongue plenty of times with you (I'm really just trying to funny, no offense)

no the comment made me think of all sorts situations in which it's rude to "stare" Why? (thoughts for another time,I guess) and I think it justs makes a for a funny conclusion to some sentences. I'll say it from time to time, but there is a lot more potential there I think.

How wierd am I?

11:40 PM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

rolli, i hereby promise, to never, under any circumstances do that to my child. unless he was a complete and insufferable bastard for the majority of the year.

5:37 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

You've had to bite your tongue when it comes to me?? Right...Now you're definitely making fun of me... Nice..

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home