Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Dad, do you know who your son is?

I got a large white envelope from my dad. It could have been for Christmas, but I think it was a timely coincidence. Inside this white envelope were the following four magazines…

1. DuPont Registry: A buyer’s Gallery of fine automobiles
(Did someone else give you this, and instead of throwing it out, you passed it on to me?)

2. Lewis & Clark the Corps of Discover
(This looks like it was published in the late 80’s, aside from that, why would you think I am suddenly curious about North American exploration?)

3. Archeology “Mysterious Mongolia”
(Ok. I will probably look at the pictures in this one, but wouldn’t this magazine better serve its purpose fooling visitors on a coffee table?)

4. Air & Space
(I’m not aero physicist, but I don’t believe the geometrically bizarre creation on the cover, was ever meant to fly. Ever.)

There was no card or any additional information accompanying the envelope. Just four magazines I have never read, and in some cases heard of, in my entire life. I was able to see his handwriting on the outside.

(I think he used a stencil?)

I am not surprised. For birthdays I’ll usually get another envelope, although not as big, with a small check and nothing else. No card. Not even a scribbled napkin. However, the memo line will usually provide some explanation as to why the envelope was sent. Also, it’s never in the right month. I know he knows the correct date. I just believe that particular part of the problem lies in “Time management” not necessarily in “parental oblivion.” Although occurrences such as this, are cause for great wonder.

My dad is a good man, god love him, but sometimes I just don’t know.

~Rolligun

10 Comments:

Blogger Drunken Chud said...

dude, it's a father son thing. after 26 years, my father still can't figure out how to talk to me like a human being, or how to get me to do something without a fight. gotta love em... but fuck... merry late christmas by the way.

2:01 AM  
Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

total empathy, man, my pops will send me a magazine without even a note. like a cabellas or something. sometimes i think just the effort it takes to seal the envelope and address it is too much for him.

5:07 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

I find that really sad. I would hope that when i have children I'll know them well enough as adults to know what they "need" to hear and what they want.

I'm sorry you aren't close but maybe in his own way, he was trying to reach out in the only way he knew how??

Hugs to you xx

5:54 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Haha. Maybe we should exchange notes about our fathers. My dad continued for years to give me presents that were ment for little kids. I think it was an attempt for him to keep his little girl little.

Maybe your dad just wants to keep in touch and he doesn't know what to say? So he sends you anything.

6:25 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Drunkin,
must be...I know he means well though

C.S.,
I don't know what Cabellas is, but it sounds like I could add that to my list

Steph,
Don't feel Sad, like I said he means well, and I probably shouldn't be so cynical about such things. Feel free to start inserting some "o's" into the line of x's.

Heidi,
I think you got it, I got a letter from him once and it was mainly about baseball and his garden. But it always takes the effort of two.

12:44 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Take it from me Pumpkin- I've had 4 stepmothers and my daddy is riddled with guilt... As long as he keeps sending the checks and the GREAT gifts, it's good enough for me... Whipping out the credit card is effort....

I think it's sweet that your dad even sent anything, it's hard for men to show their emotion... especially with their sons.. I think my dad and brother hug maybe once a year....

8:03 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

What's depressing is we all seem to have father issues.

12:18 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

meghan where are you?

(insert echoes)

10:39 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

RG- meg is spending quality time with her momma.. I'll see her tomorrow and tell her you are sending out a search party..

8:20 PM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

Meghan is here . . . though late, late, late.

Daddy issues here, too.
My father has NO idea when I was born. What I do for a living. Though, oddly, knows how much money I make.

He returned from Taos last year with a gift for me:

Perriwinkle blue sweatshirt with sunflowers embroidered on the FRONT and under it embroidered the word Taos.

Umm . . . I don't wear sweatshirts. Unless I'm going to the gym or they are Razorback or Steeler related - and that's ONLY at the gym.

I don't wear anything embroidered. It's just such a bad plan.

I don't wear anything emblazoned across my chest. I already have enough problems detracting attention from that area of my body . . . don't add to the draw.

But what could I say? "Wow, shitty as hell gift daddy, next time pick me up some nose trimmers." Umm, no. More like, "Daddy, it's beautiful. Thank you so much!" and then I have to wear it in front of him sometime before I drop it off at Goodwill.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home