Thursday, January 05, 2006

Nothing to talk about...

I’m living in an old tent. This is my third home. The first was some sort of warehouse thing, followed by a trailer/billet combination, and now finally a tent. It’s not one of the newer 2’nd generation tents the camp has to offer. It’s from round one.

Also, they all look the same to me. I would get careless when I walk. My mind would wander and sometimes I’d walk down the wrong line of tents and have to start over. It took two weeks to get past this. I need to be more careful.

Everyone from my unit is from Puerto Rico. I’m not from Puerto Rico. They all speak Spanish. I don’t. I smile instead.

I heard back from my dad. He sent a follow up email regarding the envelope. It was typical email that lacked any greeting or close, much less a post scripture. It was a total of five lines. Anyway, he said…and I quote “I intentionally picked things that are out of the norm. A lot of times, when we look and study things out of our normal daily range of inputs, we are truly entertained.” Fine whatever, one point for the old man.

I don’t have a regular sleep schedule. I am woke up at any time, between the hours of 0000 and 0600. Sometimes twice a night. I average six or seven hours a sleep a day, split between two or more pillow encounters.

I stood outside the other night, quietly waiting for a cargo plane. There was another SGT with me. He’s in his 40’s. He asked me what I was thinking about. I told him, “oh, a little of all, my mind wanders quite a bit.” How about yourself? He replied the same way…“my wind wanders too.” He then went on to talk about the differences between “today’s Army” and the “old Army.” He talked about the job he left and his girlfriend. He talked about his expectations in a round about way. I listened to him and waited for the cargo plane. I chimed in with some sort of comment here and there. I stood outside quietly listening and waiting. He’s frustrated with things and regrets coming back into the Army.

I no longer have a nemesis, that being my old 2lt, that’s good. But I’ve been hearing some conflicting things about our acting 1SGT. He’s up north right now and I haven’t met him yet. I wonder how we’ll get along?

I like the guys I’m with. There’s a younger, cocky one, who’s now from New York. We get along well.

I have to find a way to help develop these guys and build a relationship with them. It’s still a little early for some of it, but I’ll pick my points in due time.

I don’t know what’s going on at home.

In a few days I will meet a three star general. He’s the top guy in all of the “Army Reserve.” He’s a very accomplished man who deserves great respect, but it’s not a big deal for me.

When I first got here, I spent most of my free time studying for the GMAT. I haven’t done so much with it in the last six weeks or so. It’s important to me, and I have to find the time.

I plan on going to Europe for a month when I get back. I will bring an extra t-shirt.

I’m looking forward to moving again, when I get home. I think I will find a new city to live in. I’m considering several different options, but I have one I’m leaning towards.

I will get a second dog when I settle. I’ll get him from the humane society also.

I don’t want to do anything that has to do with sales when I get back.

I use to build houses, while I was in college. I think I want to get into development.

I want to get my Master’s degree for the fuck of it. But that isn’t how I’ll necessarily describe my ambition in an interview.

I like this whole idea of “blogging” I think there are some really talented and thoughtful people out there. It gives me an opportunity to do random jottings and learn about others.

Nobody who knows me back home or over here, knows about this blog.

There are people who I’ve met in this sprawling community that I would like to meet one day.

I want to change the title of this blog. But I won’t.

I have an anal habit of taking mental notes. I transfer them to paper and look at them later. Sometimes it’s just as simple as a list of “shit to do” other times it isn’t.

I come with a weird combination of frustration and resilience.

I’m not at all looking forward to the infernal heat this country produces. It comes back in six weeks or so.

I ran out of ideas for shit to write about in the blog, this is what I came up with.

Thanks for reading it anyway.

~Rolligun

8 Comments:

Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

For someone who had "nothing to talk about ..." you had a lot to say.

And I'm the better for reading it.
In fact, it makes me think of more questions.

Game?

Also - What your dad said deserves more than just 1 tiny point. That was either seriously good BS-ing or an extremely thoughtful package. Which do you think? :)

10:20 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

I really want to say something witty and charming- but the sickness that is similar to the flu is draining what little brain power I had... So I'll say Ditto to what meg said..

Oh yeah- my dad's company is looking for another electrician, I could put in a good word for ya...

Ok- time for another nap.. completely delusional now..

11:46 PM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

yeah, what meg said. it was an enjoyable, stream of consciousness read. other than that... i got nothin.

1:31 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

I'm sorry guys and gals, for writting a post that was difficult to commment on. I'll try harder in the future.

10:39 AM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

It wasn't difficult!
Beachgirl's doped up on drugs and . . . Drunken Chud is drunk.
They opted for a cop out.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

meghan has a point.

2:19 AM  
Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

dude, i got some comments for you. we're pretty similar in some ways.
i rarely sleep between 0000 and 0600. it's 0751 right now and i haven't been asleep since 2000. i sleep 5 or 6 hours split 2 or 3 times a day, usually early morning and late evening. i can't stand the damn heat of this country and i go outside to be cold right now and enjoy it. i get lost all the time because i never pay attention to where i'm going on post-i drive past my barracks twice a day, on the main coalition camp down the road i STILL get confused on how to get to the px sometimes-everything looks the same and i'm usually thinking about something. i have notes coming out of my pockets from random shit i wrote down on them. i consolidated to one of those little green notebooks, and i'm slowly filling it up with shit.

careful with drunk chuds. or lost beachgirls. they'll get you every time.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Meghan,
I didn't really mean it anyway, I was just too lazy to post multiple comments

C.S.
Yeah, most of the time it's the simple things that get you.

Drunkin,
Don't encourage her.

Laurie,
What a thoughtful reply, thank you.
A lot has changed since I've been here, and I imagine it will continue to be that way. That's one way the Army is predictable.
As for my plans when I get back, they haven't changed...lot's to do and its just a matter of getting it in order before I get off the plane. Where am I moving to you wonder, well pretty much anywhere in the country is fair game, but I'm leaning towards Minneanapolis, they have lots lakes, culture, a good skyline and of course a night life that suits me. Then again I like Chicago as well. And yes, it is hard to tell everyone apart, they all seem to have the same number of eyes and ears. I'll have to figure somthing out.

1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home