Monday, January 09, 2006

Moot Points

Things have been really busy as of late. I have written some posts and planned to write about some others, but all of it is relatively pointless compared to what’s been going on. It’s crazy when you think about the things that are important to you. What point of reference do you use? Then go ahead and change that reference point. Its weird how a simple point of view will automatically change so many things, create so many alternatives. Guilt. Distress. Confusion.

If anyone has been reading the news, we’ve lost over thirty people in the last four days. We’ve had IED’s, always IED’s. There were small arms causalities, vehicle accidents, suicides. Most recently a helicopter crash tallied 12 more.

Chaireborne recently posted some of our enduring few who were among the first to sacrifice this year. I read that list in it’s entirely but once, then I read it individually several times. I read a name and saw a face. Saw a name then read the face. The process confused itself and my recent memory of them ran concurrently with his post as I absorbed it. I’ve met most of the men on that list.

What do you think about? What do you write about? What do you care about? There all related but sometimes the challenge is putting them together. Then again, change the reference point…does any of it really matter?

~Rolligun

8 Comments:

Blogger Sherri Williams said...

You are in prayers. I can't imagine how it is for you. DH knew people on the helicopter that went down and I know that it is a hard time for all.

4:14 PM  
Blogger meghansdiscontent said...

There are no words, again.
We're here for you.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was very upset at church yesterday...
Prayers were said for our leaders to make good choices. Great, I'll go with that but NOT one mention of our men and women in our military that have lost their lives.
You (all military) all matter to me....and I will won't be quiet on my support.

hugs and prayers.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Amazing how much that puts things into perspective back here...

7:47 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

I know, actually I don't know how hard it must be for you to read those names then see their faces.

In my line of work (which is no comparison to what you do), I am often responsible for taking people's healthcare from them, I talk to these people on the phone or face them in person during a hearing. I know that these people will die without this help. But my job is to enforce the rules, it's harsh and often times heartbreaking. I wish I had some wise words to share but I don't. It weighs on you and at some point you have to find a (healthy) outlet.

What do you think about? think about something else, think about what you will do when you come home

What do write about? you're doing it now, just write, anything.

What do you care about? care about yourself...

and yes, it all does matter, you matter. You matter to me and to so many others.

Take care of yourself Rolli... You are in my prayers..

8:20 PM  
Blogger Drunken Chud said...

you're right, once you change the reference point, most everything ceases to matter. however, things that matter on the new reference point cease to matter once you change yet again. it's a crazy mixed up and fickle thing, the human perception is. yeah, that's all i got rolli.

1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless your heart. I somewhat understand the guilt feelings.. Try to find a happy place in your mind.

You are always remembered in my prayers.

2:54 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Thanks everyone for your comments.

They are appreciated by myself and all who serve.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home