Saturday, July 22, 2006

ToothPastE

I like brushing my teeth. True it’s about hygiene but it also serves as a temporary “mindless task” which helps to aid in moments of reflection. Plus, I always feel like I’m racing someone or maybe I’m being timed. It’s fun. As is counting, but interestingly enough, alphabetizing isn’t. Eh, subjects for another time. Back to “toothpaste.” Another reason I like brushing is because I usually do it in the shower, this adds to my pleasure, and it’s safer, but I’ll come back to that. Anyway, to my knowledge, I have never been beaten in this event. Another interesting note is that I never brush my teeth the same way twice. I’ll start in different parts of my mouth and, without warning, will spontaneously switch to another location. My teeth are never prepared for this. My hand barely even knows what to expect. It keeps everyone honest. Sometimes I’ll employ a circular motion or maybe, for no reason whatsoever, decide that I’m adamantly concerned about one particular tooth and will proceed to violently scrub away at that one single spot. Not because of an assigned punishment, more than likely it’s because of a clot in my thought process, which serves to stunt my active behavior. In any case, it’s different every time, with no one brushing the same as another. Kind of like snowflakes.

However, there is a dark, unpredictable side to brushing. An erratic nuisance for which I have not determined a mechanism to avoid it. It’s called a “toothpaste stain” or something to that effect. I’ve always thought there was more serious name for this type of occurrence, but when I asked other people what they call it; they gave me weird looks that said “get out of the sun.” So as not to cause further alarm, I quickly started talking about weapons instead. They obviously don’t feel the same way I do. Anyway, we’ll call them toothpastes stains for lack of a better term.

The major issue with toothpaste stains is that they are temporarily un-removable. I don’t know why, and I have thought about it. But before I examine that topic any further, I want share the reasons for which they occur. This, I think I do know. I’ve determined that toothpaste stains are the result of one of three factors. The first two were mentioned in the beginning. One, I believe, is an inability to coordinate my motor skills. This happens when the neurons in my head are firing to fast for the messenger pony’s to deliver the instructions. For example, when attempting to switch to a new position in my mouth, the orders to prepare and execute are not received on time, and inevitably, you have a toothpaste stain. The second is when my distant but concurrent thought process I employ during brushing, stalls on one particular issue. I refer to this as a “clot.” My thoughts on this random query begin to gather and gather and eventually the puddle of thought is to much for the given moment and, yes…you guessed it, my thoughts spill over in the from of a toothpaste stain. I usually swear loudly when this happens, but it doesn’t help. The last way, is what I call an equipment malfunction. For example, I recently started using a new toothbrush. It’s one with the flexible head. Looks like a slinky. This toothbrush SUCKS. I feel like I’m brushing my teeth with a broken finger. It has soft bristles and I hate this toothbrush. I started using it because it was available and I change toothbrushes fairly often. But it’s a very misleading device and I have no idea why the research and development people from Hasbro, were hired on to develop dental tools. But they were, and with them came dated toy technology. This kind of toothbrush doesn’t work, but it looks like it would. Its lazy head causes problems similar to those that my leisurely messenger pony’s are accused of. That being poor coordination. However the pony’s have no control over this. This leads to lots of toothpaste stains on account of its slinky type design, which is erroneously marketed as a flexible head. Foolish consumers. Anyhow, those are the three main causes. I still have yet to figure out what it is about toothpaste stains that make them impossible to remove, but they are definitely a badge of idiocy that cannot be eliminated. I suggest you make no more mistakes for the rest of the day, because between the two of them, you are likely to never be respected again. So be careful.

I have one more hitch to add. This occurred to me when discussing the R&D developments in the toothbrush industry. It has to do with bristle tension. See, I prefer the ones with hard bristles. Although I’m not convinced they exist. I’m led to believe that a “hard” setting is available, but frustratingly enough, the hardest bristles I’ve seen on market are designated as “medium.” This suggests there is a hard option, but I’ve never seen one. The problem is further complicated by availability of a “soft”, but still no hard. I wish they would just say that no such toothbrush exists so I can save my self the immeasurable journey. However until they do, I will keep using the medium ones while on lookout for the elusive and most likely non-existent “hard” bristled toothbrush.

That’s pretty much covers the highs and low’s of brushing my teeth. Sometimes the things that are important to me are of no importance to others. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me and life is simply too hard. I won’t bother you with these troubles anymore.

WAIT…yes I will…

I have one other issue of major consequence that I think we should devote some time too. It happens when I prepare to transition my clothes for the “laundry process.” You see, when I get undressed, I have this habit of ripping of my clothes in reverse fashion, resulting in an abundance of inside out clothes. This is especially troublesome when it comes to socks. Now the short term gain is completely cancelled out when it comes time to putting my clothes back in wearable form. This is after removing them from the drying machine. This means that I have to re-invert every single article of clothing before I even start “folding”, as they say. This is a VERY time consuming and an unnecessary burden in life. But I fight like hell to keep myself from balling everything up and stuffing it into my dirty clothes bag. (It’s green with white draw strings.) The only thing that keeps me from doing that is the very likely possibility of me complimenting my wrinkly shirt with a large and unforgiving toothpaste stain. That would be completely unacceptable and would exceed the allotted number of blunders I’m afforded in any given day. So it is.

I think I started taking care of myself at too early of an age.

~Rolligun

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think I missed the bit where you get your toothpaste stain.. I'll scroll back. I wonder if I can do a word search on blogger.

How many different ways can one brush one's teeth?

I brush my teeth in the shower, too. Sometimes I shower, brush my teeth and sing all at the same time.

missy

11:40 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

I brush way too long. I find my mind drifting off when i'm brushing my teeth and before i know it, half an hour's gone and my gums are red raw!
Not good.

As for the toothpaste stain, i find if you attack it immediately with water and a wash cloth, you should be able to remove it. Don't let it set. That's the key.

Now the taking off the clothes *fans self*. What do you mean you do it in reverse order?
Do you take your undies off before your pants? And if so, how does one manage this exactly?
Intriguing.

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you really, really need to come home.


hugs~ every thing will be all right soon...maybe...I hope...

7:33 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And speaking of toothpaste stains....use Windex.

2:15 AM  
Blogger Rolligun said...

Missy,

It just happens [toothpaste stains], but I thought it was worth discussing. I mean what would happen if you met me and I had this big white toothpaste stain on my shirt, what would you think? I can't let things like that happen.

"How many ways?",

depends on the reference point, but typically only one if all that's consider is instrument of use. However, I beleive it's much more complicated than that. Why how do you do it? With a claw hammer?

As for your showering habits, not bad for a novice, however, I can do plenty more than that when I'm on the job.

Steph,

What are you trying to do? "I brush way to long" I've already said, that to my knowedge, I've never been beaten in a "race" so don't go flinging out fightin words like that. You won't win. Especially, if a shower is involved! hmmm...

But I understand getting lost in thought. That's o.k.

For some reason your description of your gums, post brushing, reminded me of "Mr. Ed." Nevermind that.

..and thanks for the home remedy, what others do you have? (This could be really good!)

and yes my dressing habits are source of intrigue, wouldn't you like to know. But you won't...because your making fun of me and thats not allowed on my blog!

Janie,

thanks Janie, your comment was a little bit on the sappy side, but you refrained for making fun of me, challenging me, or questioning the depth behind my chosen topic. So overall not a bad comment. You may continue...

2:47 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

Because you're like Superman and leave your undies on the outside right?

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Jesse Hake said...

I can easily remove them with stain removers, though! I never brush my teeth with my actual clothes on, so getting a toothpaste stain isn't really a common occurrence. I'm quite careful not to spill any toothpaste while brushing, as well.

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home